Elko County Fire Protection District
The Elko County Fire Protection District will open controlled burning on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 6 a.m. Natural vegetation burning hours will be from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. daily. All natural vegetation burning must be extinguished by noon due to the lack of precipitation and increased afternoon winds. Small warming or cooking fires are permitted at any hour. If the burn escapes control, the land owner/permit holder could be responsible for all suppression costs.
2019 Burn Permits will remain current and in effect until December 31, 2019. If you have not been issued a permit for 2019, please call Elko County Fire Protection District at (775) 738-9960 Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm to obtain a burn permit. You must call dispatch with your permit number prior to burning. The following regulations apply.
- ALWAYS NOTIFY DISPATCH PRIOR TO BURNING (775)777-7300
- OPEN BURNING IS RESTRICTED TO NATURAL VEGETATION ONLY, NO CONSTRUCTION OR TRASH MATERIALS
- NO OPEN BURNING AFTER 12 P.M. (WARMING/COOKING FIRES EXEMPT)
- DO NOT BURN IF WINDY
- DO NOT LEAVE FIRE UNATTENDED FOR ANY REASON
- AN ADULT OVER 18 MUST BE PRESENT AT THE BURN SITE
- KEEP A WATER HOSE OR WATER SOURCE AVAILABLE
- KEEP PILES SMALL, NO LARGER AND 4’X4’
- EXTINGUISH ALL PILES COMPLETELY WHEN DONE
- KEEP A THIRTY FOOT (30) CLEARANCE AROUND THE BURN AREA
If you have any question regarding controlled burning, please contact the Elko County Fire Protection District at the number listed above.
Steven Hamilton, Division Chief - Prevention