first graphic


How do I learn more about Extension Programs?    

Visit our web site at, call us at (775) 738-7291, or drop by our office at 701 Walnut Street in Elko.


What is 4-H?    
4-H is a community of young people across America learning leadership, citizenship and life skills.
4-H is the largest out-of-school youth organization in the United States with over 7 million members.  There are over 49,000 young people engaged in 4-H programs across the state of Nevada.  The 4-H program promotes life skills development through an expanding number of delivery modes: 4-H community and project clubs, military and 4-H Afterschool programs, special interest groups, school enrichment, camping and more.

Who can join 4-H?    
Youth, ages 9 to 19 as of January 1 of the current year, may join.  Some clubs offer a Cloverbud program for youth ages  5 - 8 years old.

Where do I sign up to join 4-H?    
Call the Elko County University of Nevada, Reno Extension office and speak with the 4-H Coordinator at (775) 738-7291.  The staff will give you information about clubs and activities to join.  Visit for more information about Nevada 4-H programs.

When should I sign up?    
Join anytime!  But join by November for Elko County's 4-H enrollment deadline to take advantage of all 4-H opportunities including participation in the Elko County Fair.

What is there to do in 4-H?    
Members, ages 9 to 19 as of January 1 of the current year, select 4-H project(s) to explore through club and county activities.  Cloverbud members, ages 5 to 8, participate in non-competitive activities exploring a variety of fun, hands-on interest areas.

Does 4-H cost anything?
A youth's or family's ability to pay the county fee or club dues will not preclude a young person from participating in 4-H.  Call the 4-H staff for more information.

Your out of pocket costs for participating in 4-H will include one or more of the following types of expenses:
Project Book/Resources - Project books, resources may be available through our county Extension office, so ask our 4-H staff.
Project Items - Supplies, materials, equipment, animals, facilities and other resources needed to complete the 4-H project learning experience.
County Activity Fee - Per member fee determined by the Elko County 4-H Program.
Club Dues/Fees - Per member fee charged by some clubs used towards activities, refreshments, club t-shirt, supplemental insurance, etc.  Please ask the club leader about their 4-H fee structure.
4-H Events & Opportunities - Fees charged for participation in events and opportunities such as camps, workshops, conferences, trips, etc.  Many events offer scholarships and fundraising opportunities.

Scholarships are available.  Contact 4-H staff for more information.

What are the benefits of 4-H?
Members learn life skills, make new friends, enhance self-esteem, achieve personal goals, develop positive relationships with peers and volunteers, and have fun learning and sharing as a family and a club.

How do I get information about gardening?
University of Nevada, Reno Extension's web site:   has information about gardening, water conservation, educational programs for homeowners, volunteers, youth and more.   Additional information about trees and shrubs, flowers, fruits, vegetables, lawn , indoor plants, landscaping, pests, soils, and more can be found at  The Elko County office of the University of Nevada, Reno Extension can answer basic gardening questions and has free written materials.  Our office is located at 701 Walnut Street in Elko.

Where do I get information about soil testing?
The Elko County office of the University of Nevada, Reno Extension has soil testing bags that can be sent away to an independent lab.  The laboratory will send you the results. The Extension can assist you in interpreting the results.  Call (775) 738-7291 to schedule an appointment.  Pick up soil testing bags at 701 Walnut Street in Elko.

How do I contact an expert?
University of Nevada, Reno Extension has many area and state specialists who conduct research-based programs throughout the state.  Visit for a list of faculty and staff.  We also collaborate with university faculty from other states to address questions and issues.  Visit to ask an expert a question.

What is eXtension?
eXtension is an interactive learning environment available at  Objective, research-based and credible information you can use every day to improve your life.  eXtension is brought to you by experts from the nation's largest and oldest network of universities.

How can I get information about Mormon crickets?
Jeff Knight, Nevada State Department of Agriculture's Entomologist can assist you with Mormon cricket questions.  Call Jeff at (775) 353-3767.

How can I find out about Radon?
The University of Nevada, Reno Extension web site, has resources about radon.  Radon testing kits are available for $10.00 at the Elko County Extension office, 701 Walnut Street in Elko.   The kits are free during Radon Testing Month in January.